Monday, February 6, 2012

Runway Monday: The Bird Of Paradise - Givenchy Spring/Summer 2012 Review


For my fellow Americans, we celebrated over the weekend the most exciting and expensive event of the season, Super Bowl Sunday. Eventhough that my hometown team, the 49ers, fell short; it was an exciting game between the Patriots and The Giants. . . . Okay I'm pretty sure half of the people who watched the game tuned in to see Madonna perform during the half-time show. Like a friend said, 

"Have you heard? there was some football game at the Madonna concert." 

Or Animal Planet's Puppy Bowl. Or the great and, yes, expensive commercials they showed in between plays. Either way, they were all entertaining.  So, congratulations to the New York Giants, for winning this year's Super Bowl. I can't wait for mr. New York to rub it on my face when I get there at the end of the week. Oh the joy and yes, this is what sarcasm looks like.


For this week's Runway Monday Review, I present to you Riccardo Tisci's Givenchy Spring/Summer 2012 collection. This collection featured the IT print for S/S season the bird of paradise. The collection came out lighter, and I'm not talking about the color palette, compared to few seasons before in which somewhat always had a dark, ominous and goth-esque feel to the collection. The collection, as always, featured a very masculine silhouette but played on the verge of androgyny with looks paired with skirts/kilts.  Another aspect that gave the collection an avante garde-ism was the kaleidoscope effect of the prints that on some looks were sequined giving the pieces texture and softness to the masculine references of Hawaiian surf wear. Another detail that I loved from the collection were the interesting hemming and cut outs on the sweatshirt and tanks. I just adored Tisci's attention to detail, as always. The horn earrings, the high gloss sandals, and the leggings just brought the vision together.

I thought, Tisci had found the light in the dark. Happy Monday my fashionistos and fashionistas.

No comments: